Monday, November 26, 2012

The Lock


The assignment in my creative writing class was to write a poem about an inanimate object, and to give it life-like features.  I chose a lock, a simple device, but tough and resilient and damn near impossible to destroy.  I got some praise in class because of this, with one person saying it even sounded like lyrics to a metal song.  I'm not sure if I agree with it or not, but I still like the way the poem came out.

The Lock

With a click,
I protect.
With a clack,
I seal.
Unbreakable,
Solid steel
And turning wheel
Or a key
To keep at bay
To keep away
Hidden behind
Heavy weight and I
Am safe and secure
Content and protected
All secrets kept
All things remain
I stand vigilant
I am safety and security
None can enter
None may leave
I am the lock.

No comments:

Post a Comment